Pacific Buffet

This year my family found itself in the usual position of having a rather uneventful Christmas Day. Usually we either host a party or attend one over a family member’s place, and this year was pretty much the same except that we threw the big annual holiday celebration early on Christmas Eve.

Besides the exchange of presents in the morning, my family didn’t have a whole lot planned on the agenda. We ended up seeing Memoirs of a Geisha at the Framingham movie theatre. I know, it’s not exactly your typical holiday movie, but we all enjoyed it nonetheless. If I ever have a daughter, I want her to look like the little girl who plays Chiyo…but anyway, we can save that talk for a different blog.

After the movie concluded, my family headed over to Pacific Buffet, which is located right off of Route 9. Being about a five minute drive from the cinema, Pacific Buffet seemed like a good choice since we were all pretty hungry and didn’t want to have to travel far for dinner.

I don’t remember exactly, but I think Pacific Buffet opened about four or five years ago. It’s actually hard to believe that it’s been that long since it first opened, but it must be because I remember going even back in high school. Pacific Buffet was one of the several Asian buffet restaurants that suddenly sprang up all at around the same time. Pacific Buffet, however, seems to be one of the only ones that is still left. The only other ones I can think of are International Buffet in Quincy and East Manor in Saugus, but my family hardly ever goes out that far.

Pacific Buffet offers the all-you-can-eat dining style and features mainly Asian cuisine. The majority of the food on the buffet tables is Chinese. You’ll find most of the standard stir fries and familiar dishes but there’s also a small dim sum section as well. The Japanese section is essentially sushi, and next to the sushi bar there’s a soup station where you can select different raw meats and vegetables and watch it all cooked to order in front of you. If that’s not enough, there’s also a meat carving station where you can find roasted duck and prime rib. If you still have room by the end, there are several flavors of ice cream and an assortment of cakes and desserts to try.

Below are a few photos I took from the meal…

Assortment of Sushi

Eel, Tuna, California Rolls & Roasted Duck Pancake

Prime Rib

Assortment of Ice-cream: Coconut, Red Bean & Green Tea

Pacific Buffet is pretty popular with my family, and we visit regularly whenever the whole family is together. The quality and variety of the food are good but not amazing, and in fact, when we went on Christmas, I was expecting the selection to be better considering it was holiday. However, I think the main reason why my family enjoys going is that everyone can find at least something that they’ll like to eat. For example, my mom and dad will go for the soup and dim sum, while my brother and I eat the sushi or prime rib.

Pacific Buffet is also pretty consistent, and my family almost always has a good time when we go there. If you’re looking for a really great Asian buffet, however, you should check out East Manor. It’s quite a trek to get out there, but the food quality and selection are tremendous – not to mention you feel like you’re eating in a Ming dynasty palace. You’ll also pay a lot more too though.

No comments: