Edogawa

Having lived in Japan for almost 14 years, my girlfriend has traveled throughout most of Japan. One of the few places she hadn't been to surprisingly was Kyoto, so this was new turf for the both of us. Being unfamiliar with the city, we stayed close to Kyoto's train station, a massive architectural wonder built just years ago. Being the city's main transportation hub, it was constantly buzzing with activity and just so happened to house a number of restaurants.

After we spent the morning poking around Kyoto and visiting its many temples, we returned to have a quick, late lunch at a restaurant called Edogawa, specializing in one of my all-time favorites - unagi.

We both ordered similar lunch sets, which came with soup, pickled vegetables, and a rice bowl with broiled unagi. Given my love for unagi and my appetite after a morning of walking, I thoroughly enjoyed the meal. However, I must say that although it was good, it wasn't the unagi that really impressed me - it was the soup. The picture didn't turn out too well, so I didn't post it but it was really quite delicious. Made from some kind of vegetable or seafood as its base (whichever it was, it was foreign to me), the soup was warm, savory, and hearty. I liked it so much I even drank Sarah's.


For the past three weeks or so, I've been home relaxing. I've had the time, but just not the motivation to work on these blog entries. I'm so behind right now it's not even funny. I still have a quite a few entries from Japan to do, and Las Vegas and Phoenix are up after that. My goal is to do some hardcore blogging over the next few days, so stay tuned...

No comments: