Grotto

This past week has been terrible in many respects, and I'm glad to have it over with. The one highlight, however, was dinner Saturday night with Eric and Meat at Grotto. The weather wasn't ideal to travel in but considering this past week's torrential down pours, Saturday night's scattered showers and light misting didn't seem all that bad in comparison.

Grotto is an Italian restaurant located on Bowdoin Street in the exclusive Beacon Hill area of Boston and is only a few blocks away from the State House. I really didn't know what to expect, but from the reviews I had read, most people had only positive things to say about it. I had also checked out Grotto's website beforehand, and it was not particularly sleek or well formatted like many other restaurants', so I had a feeling that Grotto would be somewhat “rustic.”

I would definitely describe the restaurant’s interior as eclectic. When we entered the restaurant, we walked down a few steps into the dining area, which is located on the building’s basement level. One of the first things I noticed was that quite a few water and gas pipes were visible and exposed. Jazz-themed paintings lined the brick walls, and two gypsy-style chandeliers hung from the ceiling. There were also a few flower and vegetable arrangements throughout the room, which added to the room’s character.

Grotto is a very small restaurant - maximum capacity could not be more than about 30 diners. Grotto won't ever be able to boast huge volume and turnover numbers each night like larger establishments, but the one advantage of its small size is better quality control. The head chef/owner poked his head into the dining room a few times, and it’s comforting from a diner's perspective to know that the main man is in the kitchen overseeing the preparation of your dishes, if not preparing them himself. Grotto is clearly about quality food, and from the handful of dishes we ordered, it's quite evident the head chef is very talented and knows what he's doing.

Grotto’s menu is pretty limited, but that’s not necessarily a bad thing. Sometimes it’s better to do only a few things effectively and consistently, which is exactly what Grotto accomplishes. We all decided to go with the $33 tasting menu, which is pretty affordable compared to the pre-fixe offerings at other places. Included were an appetizer, entrĂ©e, and dessert.


Crab ravioli, saffron, asparagus, and toasted pistachio nuts

Meat ordered this crab ravioli dish, and I only got a small sampling, but from what I had, I liked it alot. I actually wish I ordered it for myself. I've had other lobster/crab ravioli before and with all of them, I found that the crab or lobster flavor was too subtle. Not the case with these raviolis, however. The crab was very prominent, and the saffron sauce acted as a nice complement.

Gnocchi, braised short ribs, mushrooms, and gorgonzola

Eric and I both order this for our appetizer, and I was pretty pleased with the choice. The gnocchi were light and fluffy, absorbing alot of the rich sauce. The short rib meat was very tender and flavorful. The gorgonzola was scattered throughout the dish and slowly melted, binding both the gnocchi and meat together.

Grilled proscuitto wrapped beef tenderloin, Reggiano risotto, grilled asparagus, and a red wine sauce

I ordered the tenderloin for my entree. It had a warm, pink center and was cooked medium as requested. As expected, the beef was extremely tender and juicy. However, I didn't think the proscuitto added a whole lot, and I think bacon would have worked better. Accompanied with the beef was a bed of risotto, which was smooth and creamy. I believe parmesan was the main flavor agent. I was in the mood for meat, so I ordered this dish, and although it was good, I probably should have ordered a more exotic dish and changed it up a bit. Oh well.

Pan seared jumbo sea scallops, pumpkin risotto, chanterelle mushrooms, pomegranates, and chestnut sauce

Eric and Meat both ordered this dish. Just from the ingredients, you can tell that it's a special dish made for the fall season. The dish got great marks for presentation. The mushroom risotto was stuffed into a whole roasted baby pumpkin, and the pan seared sea scallops were arranged nicely on the side. Overall, Eric and Meat seemed pretty pleased, although Eric thought that his risotto was a little undercooked since it was a bit on the chewy side.

Banana Bread Pudding with Caramel Ice-cream

This banana bread pudding was one of the desserts we ordered. One of the first things Meat noticed was that it was very sweet. The banana bread pudding also seemed to drown out the caramel flavor of the ice-cream. Nevertheless, this dish was quite satisfying.

Pumpkin Creme Brulee

Eric got the creme brulee. I tried a little, and it was very smooth and creamy with just the right amount of pumpkin flavor.

Overall, I was extremely pleased with the meal. We paid just about the same amount per person at Sibling Rivalry and got an extra dish basically. Our servers were also very attentive and amiable. The quality of the food was top notch, and I think that's what matters most at any restaurant.

Well, that's about it, folks. If our meal at Grotto was any indication of things to come, this upcoming week should be a whole better...I'm counting on it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Kenny,
I just wanted to say that your blogs are fabulous. They make me so hungry and now I desperately crave to dine at Grotto.
Hopefully the weather will let up soon ... Don't worry, in the end the sun always shines :)